Sunday, June 27, 2010

Senate Democrats and Republicans bicker over 0.0004 % of Fed. Deficit

On Thursday, Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats attempted to gain at least one Republican vote for H.R. 4213 and save millions of Unemployed Americans, at least until November.  Senate Minority leader, Mitch McConnell (R-KY), and the rest of the Republicans want the bill paid for(a small compromise if you ask me), so ultimately voted it down for the third and final time.
As I watched both sides argue back and forth on C-Span over the past week, I became increasingly aware that neither side is particulary concerned with the average American, but rather how they might look in the public eye come November, election time.  Both sides have very good points, however the issue isn't about saving a bank, paying for a war, or controlling Wall Street;  This about people!  People who have paid their taxes, are trying to make ends meet, and simply cannot find a job - most likely as a result of small businesses that failed, big businesses that sent jobs overseas, or the fact that an illegal immigrant is willing to do the work for much less than minimum wage. 
Are you one of these people?  How do YOU feel about your country turning its back on you?  How do you feel about an undocumented citizen receiving better treatment and qualifying for more government aid than you do?  Speak up and share your story here!

1 comment:

  1. Unemployment has been tough here too! I tirelessly look for work with no luck, not even a call back. Then I have politicians who don't know me from Adam telling me I'm lazy, a bum, abusing the system.

    If there was any job offered to me I would be more than happy to grab it. After filling out an application at the local McDonald's for the third time in over a year the manager told me I would have a better chance at landing a position if I was far less qualified or bi-lingual. For one I can't help my work experience or skill set and the other I didn't know I wasn't living in America any longer. English is still the main language here, right?

    For now I am safe, but my family's future is very unsure. Like the millions of other families out there we will be looking to do anything we have to to support our kids, put food on the table and a roof over our heads.

    I would give the shirt off my back to anybody else who is worse off than I. I just wish my government would do the same thing for me.

    P.S. I love my wife and proud of her new blog and what it stands for.

    ReplyDelete